Thursday, June 14, 2012

Conditions for classroom technology innovation

For my design project, I have implemented technologies that I have already used so that I have a strong knowledge of how they work and how to use them. I am not comfortable asking my students to work with technologies for the first time that I am not familiar with, unless there is a student in the class who has worked with the technology and wishes to help me and the class learn.
I have chosen websites, videos, and activities that I have personally done previous to this lesson. I also have personal things from other countries to show the students. I like to be comfortable with what I show the students previous to showing them.

For the Skype lesson, I would plan to use my own MacBook so as to avoid any network or program issues on school computers. However I am aware that other technological issues can arise with Skype such as network and internet problems. If that does happen, the classes can exchange emails. Students will be permitted to bring in their own technological devices to do research and to record their video if they do not wish to use what the school has provided.

The Innovator (Teacher): I believe that I do have a knowledge of the technologies that will be used in this lesson. I am open to new technologies and mediums if students wish to use them.

The Innovation (Project): I do not believe that this project is distancing very far from the school's culture. However there may be some distance with available resources. For example, there may not be enough video cameras for students to use provided by the school. The same goes for computers with internet access. I do encourage students to use their own devices but I do understand that each student may not have their own cell phone or iPad. I would like to incorporate texting a paragraph in Spanish and posting Tweets however it could be a problem if students do not have their own devices.
This innovation will not be distance from my practices by very much. I am teaching within my area of knowledge and using technologies that I am comfortable with.

The Context (School): In relation to technological infrastructure, the internet will be necessary for this lesson. Internet access will be needed for the Skype lesson and for research. Students may want to use WiFi on their personal devices instead of 3G or 4G. This should be made available to them but it will depend on the internet settings of the school. This project will demand use of video cameras and computers in the school if students do not want to use their own personal devices. Video camera and computer usage may be limited by the needs of other classes. Also a working projector and screen will be needed to make the Skype lesson successful. I want to project the conversation on a large screen so that the whole class is able to see. Many times projectors and screens malfunction.
In relation to human infrastructure, the class may require IT assistance if and when a problem would occur so that the planned lesson can happen. I will also need cooperation from the class and teacher in Costa Rica to make the Skype lesson successful.
Social support will be needed from other teachers as well. If there is more than one Spanish class in the school I would want support from that teacher so that we could work together on this lesson. I would also need support from parents by permitting their children to attend the planned field trip so that they can expand their vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment